Parallax Press is a nonprofit publishing company founded by Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh. We publish books and media on the art of mindful living and Engaged Buddhism. As the publishing arm of the Plum Village Community of Engaged Buddhism, we are connected to a lively network of meditators, activists, and people all over the world who are interested in mindfulness.
Submissions for the Mindfulness Bell print magazine
Our community journal the Mindfulness Bell is published three times a year. Please select The Mindfulness Bell from the options below and respond to the prompts to submit your articles and photographs/artwork.
Book proposal submissions
Our authors are the backbone of Parallax, and we welcome submissions from both agents and individuals. Thank you for thinking of us as a home for your work.
Due to the volume of submissions we receive, we may not be able to respond to all submissions. We are not able to respond to phone calls regarding the status of individual submissions. We do not accept hard copy submissions at this time.
The heart of The Mindfulness Bell is the creative expression of mindfulness practice offered by practitioners throughout the world. The beauty of each issue comes from the creative fruits offered by our readers.
For upcoming issues of The Mindfulness Bell, material should include specific examples of how mindfulness practice in daily life is helping you to transform suffering, create peace, and improve relationships and well-being. For more details, please read our “Upcoming Theme” below.
We especially request stories, poems, and artwork from children and teens.
For the Spring 2022 issue of The Mindfulness Bell, please share submissions of stories from your personal practice in the Plum Village tradition and from your heart on:
- How the Five Mindfulness Trainings (see www.mindfulnessbell.org/the-path-of-happiness) helps you practice mindful consumption with your electronic devices (computer, smartphone, tablet).
- How you apply Thich Nhat Hanh’s teachings to nourish your happiness and navigate digital-related challenges at your workplace or if you work from home.
- If you are an Order of Interbeing member/aspirant, how you practice the Fourteen Mindfulness Trainings (see orderofinterbeing.org/for-the-aspirant/fourteen-mindfulness-trainings) in daily life and in specific circumstances and how your way of living has been transformed through your study and practice of this training.
Please send your submission (no more than 1,400 words) in Word format, a photo with a file size of at least 1MB to illustrate your submission, a photo of yourself, and a 2-3 sentence bio with your Dharma name (if any) by Sunday November 21, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time).*
* Exceptions to submit past this deadline are not possible. Thank you for your understanding.
Art and Photo Submissions
We appreciate photos, artwork, illustrations, and cartoons from your local Sangha, family, and community. Please send images as TIF or JPG files, 1 MB or larger. We can return originals sent by mail.
Submission Due Dates
- January 15 for the Spring issue
- August 15 for the Winter issue
It may take up to six months for submissions to be reviewed.
How to Send
Artwork should be sent as JPG or TIF files, 1 MB or larger. You may also send written submissions, original art, photos, or a CD of digital images to: the Mindfulness Bell, Parallax Press, 2236B Sixth St, Berkeley, CA 94710, United States.