Parallax Press is a nonprofit publishing company founded by Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh. We publish books and media on the art of mindful living and Engaged Buddhism. As the publishing arm of the Plum Village Community of Engaged Buddhism, we are connected to a lively network of meditators, activists, and people all over the world who are interested in mindfulness.
Submissions for the Mindfulness Bell print magazine
Our community journal The Mindfulness Bell is published three times a year. Please select The Mindfulness Bell from the options below and respond to the prompts to submit your articles and photographs.
Book proposal submissions
Our authors are the backbone of Parallax, and we welcome submissions from both agents and individuals. Thank you for thinking of us as a home for your work.
Due to the volume of submissions we receive, we may not be able to respond to all submissions. We are not able to respond to phone calls regarding the status of individual submissions. We do not accept hard copy submissions at this time.
The heart of the Mindfulness Bell is the creative expression of mindfulness practice offered by practitioners throughout the world. The beauty of each issue comes from the creative fruits offered by our readers.
For upcoming issues of the Mindfulness Bell, material should include specific examples of how mindfulness practice in daily life is helping you to transform suffering, create peace, and improve relationships and well-being. For more details, please read our “Upcoming Theme” below.
We especially request stories, poems, and artwork from children and teens.
Engaged Practice: Taking Refuge in the Three Jewels
For the Summer 2021 issue of the Mindfulness Bell, please share submissions of stories from your personal practice in the Plum Village tradition and from your heart on:
- A happy memory of meeting Thich Nhat Hanh at a retreat or in person and how you’ve applied what Thich Nhat Hanh has taught you to transform your difficulties or make a difference in your community/society.
- How your practice of the Five Mindfulness Trainings (see http://www.mindfulnessbell.org/the-path-of-happiness) helps you practice with any of the three jewels: the Buddha, the Dharma, or the Sangha.
- Whether you’re a new or longtime practitioner in the Plum Village tradition, how you aspire to practice beginner’s mind whenever you facilitate your Sangha or study the Buddha’s teachings.
Please send your submission by January 24, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time).*
Submissions of artwork and photography are also welcomed.
* Exceptions to submit past this deadline are not possible. Thank you for your understanding.
Art and Photo Submissions
We appreciate photos, artwork, illustrations, and cartoons from your local Sangha, family, and community. Please send images as TIF or JPG files, 1 MB or larger. We can return originals sent by mail.
Submission Due Dates
- January 15 for the Summer issue
- May 15 for the Autumn issue
- September 15 for the Winter/Spring issue
It may take up to six months for submissions to be reviewed.
How to Send
Artwork should be sent as JPG or TIF files, 1 MB or larger. You may also send written submissions, original art, photos, or a CD of digital images to: the Mindfulness Bell, Parallax Press, 2236B Sixth St, Berkeley, CA 94710, United States.